Confused

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Nov 14 - 2PM
katslondon
katslondon's picture

Confused

I'm very confused and don't know if I'm dealing with a Narcissist, but I do know that I have a very creepy feeling about this person and the only reason I've remained on friendly terms is down to the - charm.

My neighbour is very well mannered and charming and at times kind of refreshing with her straight talk.
However, I notice that I only hear from her when she wants something and she always wants something.

We share responsibility for the distribution of funds collected from a guest room in our building. I am co-signatory on a cheque book. Yesterday she said, I don't want to be bothering you all the time to sign cheques, so would you sign a few blank ones to save you the bother. I said No, I won't sign a blank cheque. She would not accept a no. Instead she accused me of not trusting her, quoting another example of my 'mistrust' that I declined her offer to keep a spare key to my flat. I found myself justifying my position after a long and drawn out interrogation about why I didn't trust her.

As far as I'm concerned, if she were only interested in not, bothering me, then my refusal should have been enough.
A more creepy aspect to my neighbour is, that she buys the same funishings that I have in my flat and some of the same clothes that I wear, then behaves as if it was her idea and I copied her.

I took her to a social club that I attend, she spent the evening chatting to various people, then when I started a conversation with a male friend, she stood up and announced, I want to go now! I told her I was talking and would leave when I finished the conversation. She demanded to know 'how long' it would take, I said I don't know exactly and at that, she stormed out and went home.

She did the same thing one other time, the minute I spoke to a male friend, she demanded that we leave at once.

If we arrange to meet somewhere, she'll arrive very early, then berate me because she had to wait, disregarding my objections that I turned up on time, but it was her own fault if she got there too early and had to wait.

I had a handyman known to both of us, do some work in my flat whilst I was at work and came home to find, he was in her flat doing work.

I don't know if this woman is just plain selfish and insecure or if there's something more serious that I need to be aware of.

Nov 17 - 8PM
agnesmurphy17
agnesmurphy17's picture

Red Flags

A person who cannot take no for an answer is a person who does not respect your boundries. A person who accuses you of not trusting them when you do not want to give her a key to your private place is emotionally blackmailing you. And you fell for it when you went on and on to explain yourself. It's your apartment & she has no right to have access if you do not want her to. You are responsible for those checks & you better know what you're signing for each & every time. And a person who buys your furnishings & your clothes to a point that you are uncomfortable -- this person is mimicking you. They are taking your identity away from you in a peculiar way. It's very disturbing for the person who is being copied. (Good thing she doesn't have the key.) I think if you start setting boundries, this woman will start fading away. And she goes to any social gatherings under her own recognizance so if she wants to leave early, she can go without you.
Nov 14 - 6PM
betty2020
betty2020's picture

Hi Kat and welcome, I can

Hi Kat and welcome, I can not tell you for sure if this person is a narcissist in the clinical aspect but I can certainly tell you that you are dealing with a selfish, self centered and out of control spoiled brat!! It sure sounds to me like the world revolves around her grandiose presence. In my opinion i would set very strict boundaries with her. She obviously sees you as the weak link in the equation and is attempting to exercise power and control over you. It would also be wise to begin distancing yourself from her. The more contact the greater the chance of manipulation and mind games. You can not be friends with a Narcissist or with a person like the one you speak of. Their world revolves around taking. They will suck the last bit of life out of you without giving it a second thought. This is not a friendship and I would suggest that you read everything you can on Narcissism so you can protect yourself from future harm. xoxo Betty only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

only one way to go...Forward (tm?)