Catastrophic Relationship- The Big vs The Small Ones

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Dec 27 - 7AM
ImStrong
ImStrong's picture

Catastrophic Relationship- The Big vs The Small Ones

Hey..I've noticed that my ex do have Narcissim inside them..and I did freak out when they left me..But I got over them after the obsession stage..Now with this Narcissist There was something different..I felt sick..dizzy..exhausted..week and cried prefusely..I coulnds thick straight..it was withdrawl symptoms from a addiction..I also felt a high and constant need to please in fear he might leave..I was doing all of this willingly when I don't usually do this with the past Narcissist in my life..

What made this Narcissist so special...Just like the rest of us who was hit hard by the big one..Why this big one hurt so bd that it felt bad..What made this current ex N you was with bring you here in desperate need of help..

Im trying to understand that there was Narcissist in our lives before..but why this one hurt so exclusively..why this wrath hit harder than the others..

Does this mean that we dealt with a full Narcissist this time..and the others were just Narcissist traits..

I will like to no what was the empidemy the change..for this one..
The N I was with was a 20yr old kid but he flipped me upside down in the brain..I wanted marrage kids and all..and I would not feel like that with other younger guys like him..no so hard anyway and they all had n traits

Was this on the big catastrophe..The real deal..the biggest of them all..

It seems like we was getting prepped first by the small Narcissist for the Big Narcissist?

Why wasn't your past N make you feel sick and addicted at the same time?

Will love to hear..

IMSTRONGxx

Feb 8 - 5PM
Susan32
Susan32's picture

The Big One

Before the ex-Psych professor, the problematic "relationships" tended to end early on, before any emotional involvement on my part set in. I think what made it easy for me to end these cleanly&without any emotional pain on either side was-(a)brevity and (b)they were classmates, equals. Usually, there was a mutual realization that we weren't right for each other, so we were able to move on. I fell for a guy in high school, and he ended up dating my best friend at the time. Such rejection hurt, but it wasn't catastrophic. It didn't interfere with me academically. I wasn't weeping at school, from what I recall. The ex-P got his hooks when I was vulnerable- I had lost my grandfather. I was far from my family, and anybody familiar. He'd share his feelings with me, play the Caring Mentor role... and to top it all off, he and I were hardly social equals. The final D&D came when I declared my love to him my senior year. It had lasted 4 years, albeit without sexual/romantic involvement (despite rumors to the contrary) The romantic rejections I had gotten in high school were like minor bumps&bruises that heal quickly. They hurt a little, but you're still walking. The ex-P's wrath came about, from what it seemed, like a thunderstorm from a clear sky (it's like that in New Mexico- you'll have a clear blue sky, but by the afternoon, there's thunder, lightning) All I got was constant lecturing- so I was literally being bored to tears- and his mantra of "I'm offended/I'm embarrassed/I'm discomfited/I'm disappointed." It's one thing to declare one's love to a guy and he's not interested. Okay, it's a disappointment. But this was full-blown wrath. At one point, I had an errand to do, and he was lecturing me during the final D&D, and he snapped "I'm not done with you yet!" I who had once lovingly LISTENED to him, who was his shoulder to cry on... tuned out on him. I'd be apologizing to him. Endlessly. And no amount of apologies could lead to him granting forgiveness. The Ns/Ps I dealt with in high school were my social equals. Naturally, I didn't look up to them. They were immature hormonal teens like me. The ex-Psych professor was something different. He was older, he was an authority figure, someone I was supposed to respect and trust... and someone whom I assumed respected and cared about me. Because he was a teacher.
Feb 8 - 2PM
gettinbetter
gettinbetter's picture

I don't know your situation,

I don't know your situation, but a borderline will leave you feelings this way. You might read up on it
Dec 27 - 12PM
betty2020
betty2020's picture

The difference with a person

The difference with a person with NPD is the level of emotional abuse and manipulation. Everyone has or displays some narcissistic qualities or traits. However, those with NPD are of a much higher degree and their tactics are willful and intentional and are for self-seeking gratification and gain for the PDI. A person with true NPD will drive you on the brink of insanity. You can not understand the hot and cold behavior, the deviant sex acts, the ability to say in one breath "I love you" and within a moments notice disappear. Humans want to take others words and hold them as sacred. We want to believe in what they are saying. We have no reason not too....unless you have been with a person with NPD. Words mean nothing. They are a tool that is used against you for the benefit of someone elses gain. True NPD is impossible to work with. You can not sustain a relationship with a person with this disorder. They will never be happy or satisfied. Every day presents a new challenge and problem as the goal post is continually moving on you. They are extremely high maintenance and it is impossible to keep up with their list of wants, desires and demands. You end up sacrificing yourself just to make attempts at pleasing them only to find out that your best was not good enough. You never receive closure from them and the N will never acknowledge the wrongs they committed Unless of coarse their is something for them to gain by this. Like keeping you in the loop of supply. So we leave in a state of utter chaos and confusion. This is why we obsess. Nothing has any validity or answers the true question of what actually went down and why. So your brain begins the work of attempting to make sense out of a senseless. It must know all the "Whys, whos, whens, hows..." so it can lay it to rest. Its not a normal break up in any sense of the imagination. Normal relationships do not involve forms of mental torture and manipulation. They just simply dont. So what you have now experienced is a relationship that requires a lot of support, validation, and understanding of the disorder in order to recover from the effects. And the effects are plentiful. xoxo Betty only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Feb 8 - 6PM (Reply to #3)
thisisnotfun
thisisnotfun's picture

Couldn't have said it better

Couldn't have said it better myself....
Dec 27 - 12PM (Reply to #2)
spinning
spinning's picture

Betty, your 2020 is right on...

and exactly what I needed to read right now at a low moment. Seven weeks NC and things are flooding in..tears flowing more now than ever when I let them (only late at night) and romanticizing the disordered "relationship," which was exactly as you describe above. Black was white. White was black. The rules were constantly changing. The other shoe was always about to drop. Mine even left a note that said "I love you" the night before he D & D'd me via text messages. Whatever. Your post is so validating, so RIGHT. These disordered individuals are just that, exceedingly disordered. Nothing is real. Stopping trying to "make sense of the senseless" is key. Thank you so much for this post. Sincerely (trying so very hard to stop...) ...spinning.

spinning