DLP75's revelation

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Oct 21 - 8AM
DLP75
DLP75's picture

DLP75's revelation

I posted earlier at DLP's story, but I wanted to share a revelation I had yesterday. I have read everything I can about narcissism. I researched and analyized everything I could while relating to the way my ex narc acted. I have been having a tough time getting my heart to catch up with my mind, because after understanding more about her as a Narc, my mind has been good to get past alot of things.I finally realized that my mind and heart will never match, and that's o.k. I cannot stop my heart from loving the woman I fell deeply in love with. But if she were to try to contact me today, I know that my mind would in no way accept any form of communication, mainly because of trust, and the fact that emotionally I am dealing with a child. My problem is I have been looking at this whole abrupt break up as if I'm dealing with a "normal" break up with a "normal", emotionally stable person. That...is why the conflict and turmoil in my heart and mind has been so overwhelming. My narc and I are both in our 50's, so one would assume if two people that age break up, they would show signs of something being wrong, or especially after 9 years together and so much invested, we'd have gone to counseling or at least talked about any problems. I finally have realized that comparing what I've read to who she is, that a lot of the things she said in the relationship were things a pre-teen would say. Even breaking up over the phone after 9 years and not confronting is how people break up in their teens. When I started looking at the childish ways she had and childish things she said, I realized I was trying to compare myself being 54 and somewhat normal, to someone who although is in a 50 year old body is a mere child inside. That's why she sweated the small stuff. Wore all her feelings on her sleeve. Bought 3 houses in 9 years.Got bored easily as we would have just been somewhere or done something and she would ask, "What are we going to do now"?. She pouted with the silent treatment a lot, and ultimately cheated on me and left. Children always want something new. And although I was looking at shell of a woman I love deeply, I was actually with an unpredictable child. This has been in front of me all along and I've just now seen it. I just thought I'd share this revelation to maybe help someone else who is struggling with the head-heart battle.

Oct 25 - 1PM
sunshineahead
sunshineahead's picture

A CHILD IN AN ADULT BODY

HI! I just wanted you to know that I 100% relate to your story! My soon to be ex husband will be turning 50 shortly....but I have come to realize that is in chronological age only! Ironically, our current counselor tried to help me understand my spouse and his strange actions by presenting an analogy...He asked me to see my husband as being a "bratty four year old" and, since I am an educator, he wanted me to "see" and respond to my husband from that perspective...(He is a Christian Psych who, I am sure, KNOWS my husband has severe NPD. However, since we are all Christians, my counselor does not want to "label" my husband and still feels that there is hope for my husband to "mature" and that there is hope to save our marriage...He is pretty angry at me for filing for divorce (My husband and the counselor!)...While I believe God is a BIG God...I do not see hope in staying in this any longer and instead feel that I am in danger if I stay!) Anyway, your perception of your girlfriend is right on the mark- A seems clear that an N is still a small child that has been wounded in some way and never developed into a healthy adult. Are these individuals capable of change and becoming accountable for their actions?...That is the million dollar question!! As a Christian, I want to believe it is possible..Many people say that God helped transform Saul into Paul and that we are all capable of change...I guess the question then becomes "Do they WANT to change?" I believe my husband professes that he wants change ...but that this profession is just one more tool that he uses to manipulate people/situations to his advantage! It is a very sad...and a very painful revelation for those of us who DID love with a deep adult love ...It is difficult to understand that the person we loved never really existed and that our love was never able to be returned ...We live, we love, we grow...Thanks for sharing your revelation!
Oct 25 - 2PM (Reply to #5)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Questioning beliefs

Thanks sunshineahead. I as well as my exn claim to be Christian. We are of different denominations but the same Lord. I did so not want to judge her walk with Christ, but I always wondered if we read the same Bible. She is very, very vain and takes so much time with the way she looks. She's a very beautiful woman with make-up on, but I clearly see that is a mask she wants people to adore. As I said, I am fearful for judging, but I recall when I would try to ask her why she was so rude publicly to people, she would tell me to stop criticizing her. I would tell her I am trying to give constructive criticism,and she would tell me that the Bible says nothing about criticizing, but we should build each other up. I'd then ask her what the word rebuke meant. And I DID do it lovingly. She said God made her the way she is, however that was, and if I couldn't love her the way she was then I couldn't love her unconditionally. I told her because I was still loving her after all her faults and what she put me through after 9 years, that WAS loving unconditionally. They are definitely stunted children. I will pray for you and your husband as I know God CAN perform miracles. Hang in there, and thanks for the comment.
Oct 25 - 2PM (Reply to #6)
sunshineahead
sunshineahead's picture

Christian's and Judging

Hey DLP75....I too am really struggling with the misconception of "judging" verses "discerning" by looking at the fruits that are showing...I DO believe in unconditional love...Yet, I also believe taht there are REASONABLE conditions that GOD has set in place...Like FIDELITY!!! My biggest obsticle at this moment..and there are many!...Is that my husband has been attending a Celebrate Recovery Group (He left the church we were attending and has been attending this church where this group meets so I do not really "know" the other believers he is working with) Anyway, when the people at CR discovered that I had filed for a divorce they asked me to come and meet with them to see if they could "help" restore us. I agreed to go, praying that they would have Godly wisdom and be able to help my husband and my family...Sadly, it always turns into "he said/she said" and for people who do not know that my husband lies and has a "skewed" version of reality..They focused on me and wanted to know what sins I am guilty of that would cause my husband to be hurting....Not that I am claiming to be perfect in any way!!! I know I have lots of growing to do...But I am sure that you understand that when dealing with a N there is really nothing you can say or do to "get through" to their heart/spirit! It really seems that there is a great lack in the church of having knowledge on how to deal with families who struggle with abuse/mental illness, etc...From what I have experienced, many churches are not equipped to handle these situations...Yet, I am still hopeful that time will reveal truth to them and that they will be able to come along side my husband to help him. I appreciate hearing that your story is similiar to mine...Hopefully, we will be able to use our testimonies to help other's that are not educated in this area and help prevent them from experiencing the pain we have endured. May God continue to give us both wisdom... and peace ...as we make this journey...and may His joy be right around the corner!!! Have a blessed day!
Oct 25 - 3PM (Reply to #7)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Thanks again!

Thanks again sunshineahead. I as a man had always known of men using women and then discarding them. I'm in my mid fifties, but my dad taught me as a young man to always treat women with respect. Therefore 8 weeks ago when she dumped me after all the time we spent together, I had no idea what narcissism was, or that women were capable of being that way. I gave my heart and soul to this woman, only to have it ripped out of me. I have learned A LOT with this website and researching for myself, and I am AMAZED at all the signs and symptoms that my ex was showing that I had no idea of. Again, I always questioned myself when not pleasing her to her liking. I THANK ALMIGHTY GOD, that I did not marry her, and have another chance at love. I stuck it out 21 years with a Bi-Polar woman, and then 9+ years with this Narc. Maybe God will let me spend the remainder of my life with a woman who will truly love me. I can't wait to see what that's like. Take care and you too have a wonderful day!
Oct 21 - 8AM
Used
Used's picture

DABLP75

yes, unfortunatly we were all dealing with *kids*, i remember saying to myexh ...i am not your mum, and by the time i met exn, i thought, i don't feel like i am with an adult, he is like a kid, sulking, stomping about,jealousy, temper tantrums, and tho i didnt know him when he was 19, imagine he acted like this then...he never grew up, when we used to meet up, he would bring letters that he had recieved thru the post, but hadnt opened in case they upset him,so i used to open them for him, and read him the contents, unless they would upset him, some i would tear up.....NO I CANNOT BELIEVE I DID THIS EITHER....
Oct 21 - 8AM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

You got it!! Too bad it show

You got it!! Too bad it still stings like a bee!! Hunter
Oct 21 - 9AM (Reply to #2)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Yes it does

It does Hunter. I guess we're never too old to learn, as I have also learned through this that there is a definite distinction between heart and mind. Our minds cannot tell our hearts not to love, so when we finally accept that, there is a peace. Thanks!