Is my ex friend a narcissist?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Feb 25 - 9AM
randomflag
randomflag's picture

Is my ex friend a narcissist?

I believe one of my friends is a narcissist. She is very charming, really funny and always the centre of attention. She always does risky things and as a result, is quite entertaining. She is also very complimentary and she will go above and beyond to help someone.

This is how she was with me; she would compliment me, help me and I thought she was the perfect friend. Over time she started commenting on how bored I looked and how pathetic a party (she wasn't invited to) looked in photos. She also started to comment negatively on my fiance and our relationship.

She would say that I was the most interesting and caring friend ever and I believed her. I loved her as a friend and to be honest I started developing deep feelings for her. They weren't sexual per say but I would have experimented if she would've asked. After a while I found myself not being able to function without her. Looking back, I knew this was because of my codependency problems and self esteem issues. I have since been working on myself and I feel a lot stronger.

I feel sorry for the other girls that she's still involved with though...one girl has recently split up with her long term boyfriend and I believe this is her doing. I remember she used to comment negatively about my fiance. I remember once commenting on how I would like him to do more around the house and she said, this is how he'll always be you know, he won't change, get out now. She would plant seeds in my brain and make me look for things (if you know what I mean?)

Another girl has seen the truth as well. The narcissist once organized a mystery trip abroad where everyone had to pay in advance and she would organize it. A friend specifically said she didn't want to come because she was afraid of flying and the narcissist reassured her that there wouldn't be any flying involved and she paid upfront. However on the night of revelation she said that we would be going somewhere local...she paused and then revealed somewhere that we would have to fly to. I didn't know this had happened because the girl didn't say anything to me (before she was like this to me) because she thought no one would believe her. I felt so sorry for her because the narcissist has said a different kind of story. She said that the girl had dismissed her holiday as a rubbish one and that's why she didn't want to come. The amount of attention the narcissist got because of that was disgusting. We did nothing but think bad of the girl all week when in reality it was the narcissist's doing and she was hurt.

I have since tried to explain my situation to the other girls but they don't see it. She has managed to turn the situation on its head and the other girls think I'm avoiding her because she rejected me when I told her I had feelings for her and my fiance and my fiance isn't letting me hang around with her (which is a lie). They've been hanging around together behind my back and I decided I couldn't do anything but walk away. I've been made to look like the idiot and I feel like everyone is talking about me.

It's like she doesn't want people getting close to me anymore because that would mean less attention for her. I really can't be bothered with them anymore but I'm annoyed that no one believes me and I have been made to look like the bad, cheating fiance. I did have feelings for her but I'm quite liberal and I think love is love. I'm bisexual and the feelings were what they were. I wouldn't have explored these feelings if they were with a man because I knew I was attracted to men, at the time I didn't know I was bisexual and I thought I could handle the feelings. I still don't know what they meant, I mean some friendships can become really close.

My fiance and I are happy but I am sad because of the betrayal of the narcissist and the fact that the girls no longer talk to me. I have never felt so confused and upset.

Feb 25 - 12PM
Janie53
Janie53's picture

Randomflag

Feb 25 - 9AM
Garden
Garden's picture

I don't know if she is a